Ride To Vegas – Gets the Coffee Table Treatment

82 page Photo book printed with myPublisher

Progress. Last week the first samples of the Specialized Ride to Vegas Book arrived. I put the landscape (15" x 11.5") format book together with the myPublisher software and service. I can't say enough about the quality of the printing and binding, which was all the more remarkable given the simplified prepress instructions.

There's no mistaking the layout software for InDesign or Quark, but there's ample flexibility and it's impressively stable. The first production books should arrive this week, and I'll post a link where you can view the result for yourselves when the recipients have theirs in hand.

One of my favorite spreads

In other news my video short from the trip is ready, thanks to Dave Christenson's deft editing touch. I'll publish it tomorrow along with a lengthy behind-the-scenes piece that should be of interest to still photographers contemplating the video plunge.

12 Responses to Ride To Vegas – Gets the Coffee Table Treatment

1. Jon Moss says:

Looking good Michael, and I bet the video will be compulsive viewing :-)

Will the book be available to purchase?

Cheers,

Jon

2. Hi Jon,

It will be available for purchase but many of the photos will appear in a second best-of-2009 book I’m doing. For anyone not directly connected to the Vegas ride, the second book should be more accessible.

I expect that book will be completed by the end of this month.

Congratulations!

This must feel like quite an accomplishment.

I am sure the desert riders are anxious to get a copy of their own.

The wind is picking up here in Miami. Some difficult riding this past weekend. Small gaps levied heavy penalties.

Ride on.

• Kurt,

It was great to get it finished, and I’m already at work on the next one. Looking forward to comments as the riders get hold of it.

It’s been windy here too… and a headwind both ways on my commute.

Picked up the lemon shave cream last week and I’m enjoying that one too.

4. Chris says:

The book looks very nice…Which font is that on the cover?

5. Now I have to get on and do my book, thanks for the spur Michael. Bythe way amongst the leggo and coat hangers you forgot about the Fairy Liquid bottle, always a winner, remeber Blue Peter?

Douglas

6. Dad says:

Book has that Robertson/Design touch. I await my copy with much anticipation.
    Another straight arrow in the quiver. Great stuff! Dad

7. Alex says:

hello Michael, lovely photos as always. did you compare mypublisher with, say, blurb or other simple DIY book software? what made you go with mypublisher?

thanks and keep the rubber side down.

Alex

• Hi Alex,

I did do the comparison to several competing book services like blurb and picaboo. After reading through all the pros and cons I came to the conclusion that myPublisher had the best overall quality. I wasn’t as concerned about price and was willing to live with a little less layout flexibility in the creation tools since I could do anything I wanted in Photoshop as a single bleed image import. I took the final step of having a sample copy printed to verify my image processing and myPublisher production before committing to a large order. I’ve been very pleased.

8. Dan Hughes says:

Michael,

Are those “Ride to Vegas” books going to be available anytime soon?

Dan Hughes
    (Komen Rider 2009)

9. Patty says:

Michael,
    The book is amazing. I just received my copy today. We passed it around at work and I even let a few customers get their hands on it, however briefly. I look forward to purchasing a hands-on copy for my store. Most of the Specialized crew signed it but I still need Katherine and you to lay pen to paper for me. I will figure that out at some point.

Thank you for your beautiful work. It truly captured the spirit of the ride and the epic nature of our adventure.

Patty