When bears come out of the woods to warm their paws by the fire you know it's bloody cold. Actually, the corkscrew ramp about seven miles into today's planned route alternated between gusts of heavy, wet snow and isolated pockets of sun. We had quite the party going until the news of the stage cancellation came over the radio shortly after what would have been the delayed 1:15 PM start. I think everyone had been having such a good time (beverages were involved) that they took it in stride. No one second guessed the decision and most started to pack up their paraphernalia and head back to town.
Later, as numerous tweets from riders on the way to Squaw Valley confirmed, it turned out the organizers made precisely the right call. Further up the West side of the lake the road was much worse and it would have been dangerous to attempt the stage. I'm back in South Tahoe for a second night, hoping I can make the drive to wherever tomorrow's stage starts. By Monday evening we'll be down in Sacramento one way or another.
This landscape is for Douglas - you'd like shooting up here